Immediately to mid October
5 days a week
$20/hr plus housing
The Retreat Cook is in charge of the all-important food program at the Refuge at Knoll Farm, a seasonal retreat center in operation from mid-May to mid-October. Please see our Food page for more about our food philosophy: healthy delicious food is at the very heart of people’s experience of the farm, so this position is very creative, important and deeply appreciated.
Groups using the Refuge include professional groups, families, music camps, yoga studios and individuals on our leadership retreats. Most retreats are 2-8 days long and are typically around 20-30 people. On rare occasions we cook for more than 30 people.
Job responsibilities include:
- planning creative, mostly vegetarian menus that highlight seasonal produce in our local area
- sourcing food from local farms, farmer’s markets and food stores with the goal of having the majority of our food be locally grown
- preparing and presenting delicious meals and being willing to share how it is sourced and cooked with guests
- cooking in the outdoor pizza oven as a community experience
- catering to special diets, including gluten-free, paleo, vegan, and others
- managing volunteers in the kitchen
- keeping meals on time according to the schedule, and planning portions to be sure there is enough food for each group
- keeping detailed budgets and managing spending wisely
We seek candidates who have an approachable demeanor and openness to input from all levels of staff and the general public. Must be sensitive to issues of gender, racial, ethnic and cultural diversity and inclusion. We know that food does more than sustain life: it supports people emotionally, it represents heritage and culture and it has the power to bring people together across differences. We hope to find someone who shares these values, and who is able to respond to the diverse needs of our clientele.
Knoll Farm’s mission and core values of equity, fairness, inclusion and diversity are present in all that we do. Black, Indigenous and People of Color are encouraged to apply.
Schedule and Pay:
Days in a Retreat Kitchen can be long, typically beginning with breakfast prep and ending with prepping for the next day after dinner is over. The cook is responsible for general cleanliness but other staff take care of the majority of dishwashing.
We are looking for a retreat cook immediately. The work schedule is arranged around the retreat calendar, which means that intense work periods are followed by blocks of days off. You can expect to have an average of 2 days off each week. The calendar is usually set by April, although it can always change. It’s necessary to be flexible in this role.
If interested please fill out the application below. Please be sure to include a cover letter and resume. Thank you.
If you have any trouble with this form, please email us instead.